Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Negotiations..round one....

FrankD

Reactions
What I Drive
2023 Calligraphy
Hello all. I am currently in the market for a 2023 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy. I'm in Florida. The local dealer had 3 of them the other day..they are all gone. They DO have one with my color choice, etc., coming in the next 2-3 weeks that is currently not spoken for. So...we start looking at numbers. The first paper he gave me had basically no breakdown....just a huge price. I told him that I would like an itemized list showing all markups, market adjustments, fees, etc, and a breakdown of what each of them were.

So..I then see the MSRP, with a $5995 market adjustment fee. They also added there "dealer package" at $2865 and $1335 accessories, etc...which I promptly told them I would not be interested in and because the car is not here yet they can cross them off completely. Their Doc fee is $999. I explained to them that that was the highest in the country, and that in California it was $55. I told them I understood that they HAD to have a Doc fee, but that could easily be adjusted in the asking price.

I still do not understand their $350 electronic filing fee, their "non-tax fees of $84.03, License fee of $400, (later they said that was for a new plate, but if I used the plate from the car I was selling the fee would be like $200, then once they said $100). They could not explain them to me well at all.

They asked if I was trading in our minivan and if I were financing. I told them I have not decided that yet, and would not until we had a firm "out the door" price we were both happy with. They could not tell me the finance charge without doing a credit check. I told them that it was WAY too early to do that, and that my FICO score was 816 last time I looked.

They said they would not budge much of the market adjustment. I told them that that was fine and totally up to them, as is my decision is to buy or not from them. I also told them that they were my closest dealer and the one I would like to have a long term relationship with, but that I also knew there were other dealerships who might be more flexible with the price in order to have my business. I told them I am fully prepared to commit to the sale today, but on the other hand, I do not NEED this car now, and perhaps it might be better for me to wait a few months. Round One completed.

UPDATE....a few hours later today I called the next closest dealership, 20 miles away and the 1st one was 10 miles away. What a great phone call! The person I spoke to told me they are a bigger dealership that has a clearer sales sheet.....more "no haggle"....which I like to haggle, but he told me that their Doc fee was WAY lower, with none of the other add ons other than tax and a small fee for transferring the plates. He told me that they do not currently have the color, etc., I want, but when they DO have one coming in, I could lock it in. Their market adjustment is $2995, $3000 lower than the first dealer, but with the lower fees, etc., it appears that at this point they will be about $4000 less than the first dealer. The salesman actually used to work at the other dealership and told me he knows all of their tricks....he says they sell way more and it is a way healthier dealership ethically. The salespeople get paid a flat fee per car plus bonuses if they sell more volume.....it seemed so far like a much better experience. Sorry for the long post!

Reactions
What I Drive
Ford
What dealership is the hood one ? We are in AL and struggling with greedy dealers
Hello all. I am currently in the market for a 2023 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy. I'm in Florida. The local dealer had 3 of them the other day..they are all gone. They DO have one with my color choice, etc., coming in the next 2-3 weeks that is currently not spoken for. So...we start looking at numbers. The first paper he gave me had basically no breakdown....just a huge price. I told him that I would like an itemized list showing all markups, market adjustments, fees, etc, and a breakdown of what each of them were.

So..I then see the MSRP, with a $5995 market adjustment fee. They also added there "dealer package" at $2865 and $1335 accessories, etc...which I promptly told them I would not be interested in and because the car is not here yet they can cross them off completely. Their Doc fee is $999. I explained to them that that was the highest in the country, and that in California it was $55. I told them I understood that they HAD to have a Doc fee, but that could easily be adjusted in the asking price.

I still do not understand their $350 electronic filing fee, their "non-tax fees of $84.03, License fee of $400, (later they said that was for a new plate, but if I used the plate from the car I was selling the fee would be like $200, then once they said $100). They could not explain them to me well at all.

They asked if I was trading in our minivan and if I were financing. I told them I have not decided that yet, and would not until we had a firm "out the door" price we were both happy with. They could not tell me the finance charge without doing a credit check. I told them that it was WAY too early to do that, and that my FICO score was 816 last time I looked.

They said they would not budge much of the market adjustment. I told them that that was fine and totally up to them, as is my decision is to buy or not from them. I also told them that they were my closest dealer and the one I would like to have a long term relationship with, but that I also knew there were other dealerships who might be more flexible with the price in order to have my business. I told them I am fully prepared to commit to the sale today, but on the other hand, I do not NEED this car now, and perhaps it might be better for me to wait a few months. Round One completed.

UPDATE....a few hours later today I called the next closest dealership, 20 miles away and the 1st one was 10 miles away. What a great phone call! The person I spoke to told me they are a bigger dealership that has a clearer sales sheet.....more "no haggle"....which I like to haggle, but he told me that their Doc fee was WAY lower, with none of the other add ons other than tax and a small fee for transferring the plates. He told me that they do not currently have the color, etc., I want, but when they DO have one coming in, I could lock it in. Their market adjustment is $2995, $3000 lower than the first dealer, but with the lower fees, etc., it appears that at this point they will be about $4000 less than the first dealer. The salesman actually used to work at the other dealership and told me he knows all of their tricks....he says they sell way more and it is a way healthier dealership ethically. The salespeople get paid a flat fee per car plus bonuses if they sell more volume.....it seemed so far like a much better experience. Sorry for the long post!

busajeff

Reactions
What I Drive
2023 palisade calligraphy

do they have the palisade you want in stock? just curious as i found some regions all have market adjustments and some regions they don't exist. i'm buying from western ny and while my calligraphy wont arrive until the first week of december... it's at msrp without market adjustment and the only fee they have that's not a direct registration/plate/tax etc is a $175 dealer doc fee. pre-pandemic i could get dealers to go closer to invoice and waive the doc fee but nowadays msrp +175 feels ok.

i type ALL of this just to suggest that you could work with a distance dealer, and when the car comes in.... take a driving vacation to niagara falls and buy it there and save yourself an easy few thousand $

attached is my work up (keep in mind we used 53k as a round number as we don't have the sticker yet and there are mudflaps/cargo cover/wheel locks etc that will all be at msrp)

if it looks 1800 too high it's awd as i'm in the snow belt

Hyundai Palisade Posts