Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

I think my rear self leveling shocks are worn/blown. Out of warranty... any idea on what price I should be expecting?

Reactions
My 2020 Palisade Limited with self leveling shocks now rides extremely rough with an up and down bouncy feel over rough roads that is very, very bad in particular for rear passengers. Based on a bunch of reading of people with similar issues I expect the dealer to tell me one or both of the rear shocks is leaking / worn and needs to be replaced. The car has 67,000 miles on it. I'm wondering if any of you have recently been through this and what I can expect to face from a Hyundai dealer in terms of price... I'm just wondering what is reasonable and how high a number to expect so if it seems totally out of line I can bring it elsewhere for a second opinion vs. just getting the job done right away. It's a shame because after a little over 4 years I'm planning on selling and replacing the vehicle later this fall and I hate that I'm facing a big bill but it is what it is. Thanks!

Reactions
What I Drive
Palisade 2020 Limited
My 2020 Palisade Limited with self leveling shocks now rides extremely rough with an up and down bouncy feel over rough roads that is very, very bad in particular for rear passengers. Based on a bunch of reading of people with similar issues I expect the dealer to tell me one or both of the rear shocks is leaking / worn and needs to be replaced. The car has 67,000 miles on it. I'm wondering if any of you have recently been through this and what I can expect to face from a Hyundai dealer in terms of price... I'm just wondering what is reasonable and how high a number to expect so if it seems totally out of line I can bring it elsewhere for a second opinion vs. just getting the job done right away. It's a shame because after a little over 4 years I'm planning on selling and replacing the vehicle later this fall and I hate that I'm facing a big bill but it is what it is. Thanks!
Hi

I’m facing the same issues with my Palisade 2020 Limited, almost same mileage like you, 63k. Did you figure it out what the problem is? And repair costs?

thanks

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I didn't see your question until now. I did end up having the dealer check it out. They stated both rear struts/shocks (rear leveling on my Limited) had to be replaced. Total cost out the door was $1860. I saw other posts on other forums quoting $1700-2200 for this and also stating the these OEM rear leveling are specific to the Hyundai Palisade with no 3rd party lower cost alternatives unlike if they had been a more conventional strut/shock. While maybe I could have found a better deal I just pulled the trigger. The fix is perfect and the ride is normal again.

JStrat

Reactions
What I Drive
2021 Palisade
Just in case anyone is searching for info on these self-leveling shocks and think that your's are blown - here is some info for you. I didn't realize it because the "decline" was so gradual, but placing two full grown women in the back during a family outing and watching them bounce around, I realized something was seriously wrong. I at first thought it was my fairly new Continental tires (10,000 miles on them), but decided it couldn't be that and starting looking into the shocks. At 70,000 miles, I am out of warranty for that work so I decided to try to tackle it myself. The self leveling shocks at the local dealer were $520 EACH and they wanted another $250 to install them (over $1,300 with taxes). I found them online at a dealer in Virginia for $399 each - but local dealer would not install them unless I bought them there. Determined to save money, I ordered them and they came in about a week later. What I thought was going to be a pretty hard job only took me about an hour (for both shocks) and I am not a great mechanic. It was super easy and if you have any mechanical experience at all, I would say give it a shot. No special tools were needed. The ride is back to "factory new". I had forgotten how nice these things ride. Now, I am a bit peeved that they were shot and that they are so freaking expensive, but it is the only thing that has gone wrong with the car in three years, so I'll live with that. One additional point...the new shocks came with a plastic seal (don't forget to add this when you do the install) and the old units did not have the seal. Hmmmm.

BooBoo

Reactions
What I Drive
2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy
My “new-to-me” 2021 rides okay on smooth roads but is a bouncing battle wagon on rough roads. Certainly not the luxury ride touted in the 2021 articles on the Palisade.

Searched for the possible problem while at the dealership getting the promised repairs and landed here. Told the Service Writer the issue and what y’all had reported. He checked with the technician and told me there is a Technical Service Bulletin for the issue.

TSB 22-SS-001H

I put it in a search bar and didn’t get results to know what it says.

They’re also going to replace the rear shock/strut.

I’ll add here and try to find the original post…, the worm gear for the steering wheel is now on order thanks to this forum!!! It, too, has a Technical Service Bulletin:
WORM SHAFT TSB 22-ST-005H-1

Thanks everyone!!!

Hyundai Palisade Posts